Welcome..........

Welcome..........

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

You were either a Christian or a Cannibal.


I love documentaries.  Even subjects I really have had no interest in I can get drawn into a documentary about it and watch the whole thing.  Recently Jenn and I pretty much dumped cable television.  We took a good look at what we were watching and didn't take long to realize that for what we were paying and how much we television we watched it was a complete waste of money.  When I gave it some thought our price per hour and price per episode of a show we were watching was ridiculous.  I am not a "kill your television" person but when most new shows coming out are "reality" television that was time for us to pull the pin on cable.  From the standpoint of a cable television station I get it.  Reality shows are very cheap to make and popular.  I have never liked any singing shows, dancing contests, teen mom's, ice road trucking, logging, swamp people or hog hunters.  One thing is very clear is you can put almost anything on television and people will watch it.

We use Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming for television and Redbox for movies.  Works great for us.  On Amazon there was a  PBS special called the Myster of Easter Island.  Sounded interesting enough so we sat and watched all 43 minutes of it.  It was fairly interesting.  One of the historians they used as an expert said something that had me rolling.  He was talking about the early history of Easter Island and how the Northern Europeans claimed there were Cannibals inhabiting the island.  The historian goes on to say "back then you were either a Christian or a Cannibal"  Once he said that I laughed out loud and turned to Jenn and said "let me get this straight.  You were either filled with love for other people or you are filled with other people"  That my friends goes down in my great quotes of all time book.

Then, my mind drifted (as it often does) to a totally different Cannibal related topic.  No, not Hannibal Lecter or any other real or made up Cannibals.  If you guessed Toto Coelo you would be correct.  Remember them?  Kind of a really bad version (if possible) of the Spice Girls from 1982.  A British all girl group that managed to put out 1 hit song called "I Eat Cannibals".  It was one of, if not the worst songs from the 80's.  The video was a glorious mess of horrible choreography, ridiculous stage props, choppy filming and poor lighting. Here is the video.  Sit back and enjoy.


Next time you are thinking about Easter Island just ask yourself "would I have been a Christian or Cannibal?"

That's all for now.

Nano Nano,

-Brent


No comments:

Post a Comment